"Every decision that’s taken, is taken through the lens of “will this adversely affect staff wellbeing and mental health?”
And if the answer is ‘yes it will’ you modify it or you don’t continue with it."
Steve Waters is the founder and CEO of the Teach Well Alliance. He works in partnership with schools to implement a culture of staff wellbeing and mental health through his unique programme, the Teach Well Toolkit.
In this incredibly bold and courageous conversation, Steve talks about:
- The biggest lie in education.
- The root of all evil in education.
- His invitation to leaders to take a risk and refuse to have anything to do with high-stakes accountability measures.
- And critically, what strategies to put in place of the strategies you reject.
- "There is an alternative narrative. You’ve got to stop believing that the only way, is putting such intense pressure on teachers that they conform to what we expect them to do."
- And much more!
"You can’t say we’re putting the children first, if by putting the children first you’re putting the staff last. It can’t work. It doesn’t happen."
You can connect with Steve
On Twitter @teachwellall
On LinkedIn at Steve Waters
The website is teachwellalliance.com
Steve's book 'Cultures of Staff Wellbeing and Mental Health in Schools' is now available.
Also mentioned in this podcast
Jeremy Hannay, Headteacher of Three Bridges Primary School in Southall.
You can watch a conversation with Jeremy and Steve here
John Tomsett @johntomsett
Connect with Maria
On Twitter @Mariabrosnan
On LinkedIn Maria Brosnan
On Instagram @pursuitwellbeing